Mon, 6 Aug 2012, 15:29
Perl Platform Developer
We are currently engineering the next generation of our software to deliver websites in HTML, targeting a spectrum of devices from desktop computers to tablets and smartphones. We are looking for a Perl Platform Developer to join our new dedicated Platform Team responsible for underpinning our application with a strong foundation for growth. The Perl Platform Developer will take responsibility for the architecture and implementation of service-layer components across the platform from data access through business logic to the platform's system API, evolving the platform as a Service-Oriented Architecture, and generally ensuring that the platform scales to requirements of performance, concurrency, resilience and stability.
As part of the Platform Team, the Perl Platform Developer will share the team's responsibility for evolving a robust and versatile system API and integrating our platform into wider business concerns, accommodating requirements of scale, flexibility, performance and resilience.
- You are passionate about excellent standards of software design and implementation, and take the time to do things correctly
- You are driven by the desire for optimal performance, availability and integrity, focusing always on the needs of customers
- You are fearless in the pursuit of high concurrency and resiliience, and think freely and openly about ideal technology choices
- You pride yourself on both an eye for detail and an ability to comprehend and embrace the larger picture
- You can easily interpret business requirements as technical tasks and prioritise them appropriately
- You have great communication skills, and co-operate effortlessly with technical and non-technical colleagues alike
- You are a true team player and always have a positive can-do attitude towards the task in hand
- You are eager to improve yourself and the culture around you
- At least five years perl, showing robust, scalable server-side application development skills and a keen understanding of object-oriented architecture and design
- At least three years working with Horizontal Scaling and High Availability concepts, solving problems encountered at scale
- At least two years database/data access layer development working with RDBMS servers such as Sybase
- Experience working with NoSQL solutions such as MongoDB or MemcacheDB
- Experience with perl web application frameworks such as Dancer or Catalyst
- Experience working in an Agile environment such as Scrum, Kanban or Extreme Programming
- Experience using Test-Driven Development and code reviews
- Experience with Application Lifecycle Management and build tools such as JIRA and Bamboo
- Experience with a Version Control System such as Git
- Ability to read, compile and tweak code written in languages such as C
What the job is
The Perl Platform Developer will have responsibilities that include the following:
- designing and implementing the overall architecture of the platform to accommodate requirements of scale, delivery, performance, concurrency and resilience
- designing, implementing, enhancing and optimising service-layer APIs belonging to the platform architecture
- designing and implementing performant, robust and scalable platform components using the finest enterprise architectural practices
- troubleshooting bottlenecks and ensuring optimal behaviour and functionality across the entire platform
- evaluating and implementing optimal technology choices, for example custom Apache modules
- maintaining a hygienic, well-designed, scalable and flexible code base
- adopting our development standards that include Test-Driven Development, continual incremental refactoring and code reviews
- adopting our Agile and Scrum-based practices that span development, testing, continuous integration, deployment and delivery
- taking shared ownership and responsibility for the software platform
Technologies in use
You are broadly free to use the development technologies that allow you to be most productive. You will, however, be expected to use our company-wide ALM and DVCS systems (we use the Atlassian suite and Git). Our developers work on a mixture of Windows, Mac OS X and Linux machines and employ everything from Vim to Intellij IDEA. For company communications we use Outlook, Jabber and Skype.
Who we are
Moonfruit is an award winning and market leading do-it-yourself website building software-as-a-service platform. We both develop software to enable people with no technical skills to produce unique well-designed websites as well as host the websites created by our software. We are based in Central London (Oxford Circus) and we have a well-known and distinctive brand. We are an innovative, design-led business with legions of small and medium sized business customers using our Website Builder and ShopBuilder products. Our products give ‘consumer retailers’ the power to design and curate their site in one place and then ‘publish once, be everywhere’ with total design control.
Our package and perks
Salary according to qualifications and experience. Moonfruit offers generous benefits including discretionary annual bonus, private healthcare, pension scheme and 25 days holiday.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter to: email@example.com